Harvest Kale Slaw with Tahini Dressing Recipe
After a fun-filled three-day girls’ trip to Hawaii with a red-eye flight back home, we ended up at Heirloom, a Vancouver eatery known for their unbelievable vegetarian food. We ordered their kale salad to share, and we all fought for the last bite. Back in Kelowna, our team member and friend Mackenzie whipped up this version for us, and she nailed it! This one is so unique, delicious, and healthy! You will not use all the dressing, so store the extra in a resealable container in the fridge for up to 1 week.
For the Tahini Dressing:
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1/3 cup (75 mL) nutritional yeast
1/4 cup (60 mL) tahini
3 tbsp + 1/2 tsp (52 mL) tamari
2 tbsp (30 mL) apple cider vinegar
1 tbsp (15 mL) fresh lemon juice
1/2 tsp (2 mL) pure maple syrup
1/2 cup (125 mL) water
1/3 cup (60 mL) avocado, grapeseed oil or other neutral-tasting oil
For the Harvest Kale Slaw:
4 cups (1 L) lightly-packed finely chopped green curly kale with stems removed
3 cups (750 mL) shredded red cabbage
1-1/2 cups (375 mL) grated carrots (2 to 3 large carrots)
1/3 cup (75 mL) finely chopped red onion
1/2 cup (125 mL) sunflower seeds
1/2 cup (125 mL) pumpkin seeds
1/2 cup (125 mL) dried cranberries
1 package (7.5 ounces/210 g) smoked extra-firm tofu, cut into 1/2-inch (1 cm) cubes
1 tbsp (15 mL) cornstarch
2 tbsp (30 mL) extra-virgin olive oil
1. Make the tahini dressing in a blender (or deep, narrow container if using an immersion blender). Combine the garlic, nutritional yeast, tahini, tamari, cider vinegar, lemon juice, maple syrup, water, and avocado oil. Blend for 2 minutes, or until smooth.
2. Make the harvest kale slaw In a large bowl, combine the kale, cabbage, carrots, red onion, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, and cranberries. Toss to combine and set aside.
3. Press the tofu cubes between 2 sheets of paper towel or a kitchen towel to remove any extra moisture.
4. In a small bowl, sprinkle the tofu cubes with the cornstarch and toss to coat. Shake off any excess.
5. In a small frying pan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Lightly fry the tofu cubes until they are light golden on all sides, about 2 minutes in total. Remove from the heat and transfer the tofu to a plate to cool.
6. Slowly pour the Tahini Dressing over the Harvest Kale Slaw, adding just enough to coat the salad or to taste (you will not use all the dressing). Add the tofu, toss again, and serve immediately.
Serves 4 to 6
Excerpted from Fraiche Food, Full Hearts: A Collection of Recipes for Every Day and Casual Celebrations by Jillian Harris and Tori Wesszer. Copyright © 2019 by Jillian Harris and Tori Wesszer. Photography copyright © 2019 by Janis Nicolay. Published by Penguin Canada, an imprint of Penguin Random House LLC. Reproduced by arrangement with the Publisher. All rights reserved.
Reg. $40 - Limited Time $30
BUY NOW HERE