Things to do on your staycation
Posted on 19 March 2020
Our lives are becoming quite challenging right now. For the most part, we are (or should be) socially distancing ourselves from one another for the time being. I agree with the officials who are saying that this approach is the best way to stop the spread of the virus and #flattenthecurve. It's not all doom and gloom however and there is a positive side to this for many - you get to spend more quality time with your family. How wonderful is that! I did a program a few years ago that asked me to question and focus on what makes me truly happy in life; what are my goals in life? It's not as easy a thing to answer as you would think. Ultimately I figured out that what I really wanted to do was spend more quality time with my family - no matter what we were doing. I believe that a lot of you feel the same way. The next few weeks (and possibly beyond) can offer us a great opportunity to plan and spend that quality time with our loved ones.
Through some personal research, combined with your answers via Instagram stories (thank you!) I've compiled some great ideas/suggestions to do during this 'staycation' - both to spend quality time with family but also to help you reduce some of the cabin fever we may be feeling.
- Read a Book - customers have suggested: The Secret, Do Less, Tattooist of Auschwitz followed, Maybe you should talk to someone, You're a Badass, The monk who sold his ferrari, The universe has your back, Signs, American Dirt & Becoming. If you have anymore book suggestions please put it in the comments section below. ⬇️
- Finish Home projects
- Play board games
- Watch movies or binge a tv series or movie marathon. Here are some suggestions from Insta stories...I'm already watching Younger - Younger, Mad Men, Gilmore Girls, Mind Hunters, The Stranger, Blacklist, Ugly Delicious, Schitts Creek, Love is Blind, Flea Bag, Homeland, Shamless, Line of Duty & The Last Czar. Tell us if you have anymore suggestions by entering it in the comments below ⬇️
- Movies to watch with the family - Harry Potter series, Jumanji movies, E.T. (yes! my kids loved it), Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory, Spy Kids, Elf, Avengers (look up the proper timeline order to watch the Avengers movies in and in logical chronological order - we did this a little while ago and loved it!), Mr. Popper's Penguins. If you have any other suggestions put below in comments for everyone to see ⬇️
- Clean out your closet ( how many times have I wanted to do this)
- Baking/Cooking - Lemonberry just got the new cookbook Gather Home Cookbook - check it out here. I love it! It has a lot of DIY's as well which is great for now. Also, a creative minestrone soup is a great way to use up miscellaneous veggies in the fridge. Try this recipe by Cookies & Kate and replace her suggested veggies with the ones you have.Yoga - youtube 10-20 min videos.
- Puzzles - the more pieces the better.
- Daily hikes/walks/bike rides
- Twelve of the world’s most famous museums are offering free virtual tours during the pandemic (ask your kids what specific social studies topics they have studied through the year and explore in these virtual museums - a great way to solidify previous learning)
- Getting takeout meals from your favourite restaurants like Locale.
- Grocery deliveries
- Start your spring cleaning
- Free Fitness workout posts by @functionstudioinc on instagram
- Seeding - Planting - Great instructions in Gather at Home or just youtube how to do it.
- Olaf (Josh Gad) Reads story books to kids on Twitter @joshgad
- Active Parents has an activity day planners as well as (print it here) how to make homemade playdough...How Fun!
- Virtual Play Dates with your kids & their friends. My kids have been facetiming their friends everyday and while facetiming they play games together like Minecraft & Roblox.
- 20 Virtual Field Trips on Adventures of Familyhood- It includes the museums above but so much more like aquariums, zoos, etc.
- Harptoons Publishing does live drawing every day at 2:00 pm eastern standard time on their Facebook page.
Please take care, be safe, & practice social distancing.
If you have any other suggestions, please put in the comments below and let's all work together to get through this and make it out sooner than later.