Pecan Pumpkin Pie Recipe
Dessert time at Thanksgiving has always been a bit of a letdown for our aunt Mary and cousin Steph: neither can have gluten. We created this pie so they wouldn’t be left out, but we think it’s even better than the plain ol’ regular pie that we used to serve—and much healthier! Pumpkin pie is traditionally made with evaporated milk, but we highly recommend making it with our Cashew Cream—it yields a much richer and smoother filling that was preferred hands down by our crowd. Serve with a dollop of whipped cream or coconut whipped topping.
- 1 cup pecan halves, toasted
- 1 cup oat flour
- 1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup butter or vegan butter, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
PUMPKIN PIE FILLING:
- 1-1/2 cups pure pumpkin purée (from a 540 milliliter can)
- 1-1/4 cups cashew cream
- 2 eggs, well beaten
- 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Make the pecan crust in a food processor; combine the pecans, oat flour, brown sugar, melted butter, cinnamon, and salt. Pulse until the mixture is finely ground and sticks together well when pressed between your fingers.
- Tip the pecan mixture into a 25 centimeter ceramic fluted quiche pan and, using the flat bottom of a glass, press it evenly and firmly onto the bottom and up the sides to form the crust.
- Bake for 12 minutes, or until the crust looks slightly cooked but not brown. Set aside.
- Make the pumpkin pie filling In a large bowl, combine the pumpkin purée, cashew cream, eggs, brown sugar, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, cloves, allspice, and salt. Whisk until smooth.
- Pour the filling into the crust and bake until the centre of the pie is set (a butter knife should come out clean), 30 to 40 minutes. Transfer to a rack and let cool completely. Store, covered, in the fridge for up to three days.
Excerpted from Fraiche Food, Full Hearts: A Collection of Recipes for Every Day and Casual Celebrations by Jillian Harris and Tori Wesszer. Copyright © 2019 by Jillian Harris and Tori Wesszer. Photography copyright © 2019 by Janis Nicolay. Published by Penguin Canada, an imprint of Penguin Random House LLC. Reproduced by arrangement with the Publisher. All rights reserved.
Reg.$40 - Limited Time $30!!!
BUY IT NOW HERE